RE: new to contracting, all the usual questions

Subject: RE: new to contracting, all the usual questions
From: "Barbara Philbrick" <caslon -at- alltel -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 07:41:13 -0400

Mac vs. PC: Depends on your industry. If you tend to be working with
marketing departments, Mac might be OK. There are occasional technical
writing departments that use Macs as well.

Stepping back a bit, though, I'd wait till you say yes to a contract before
I bought anything. You might wind up on-site with company provided
equipment, or in a situation where you're providing text and someone else
does the formatting. As long as you have a computer, you can get started,
say, putting outlines together in Word on a Mac, while you wait for your PC
with RoboHelp to come in.

If you're a member of STC, you can visit
http://www.stcsig.org/cic/pages/links.htm for lots of links to information.
In particular, I recommend the _Getting Started in Consulting &
Independent Contracting_ book at http://www.stcsig.org/cic/gscic/.

Good luck,

Barb