RE: conceptual material in procedures

Subject: RE: conceptual material in procedures
From: "Elizabeth O'Shea" <elizabeth -dot- oshea -at- virtualaccess -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 15:20:45 +0100

Hi Eileen -

>Because the material is for employees, and I'm talking about their
jobs, I want to include this kind of conceptual
>information. However, I know that for procedures, you usually tell how,
and don't burden the reader with why.

I second Lisa's suggestion: chunk the conceptual information into a
section separate from the procedure.

Do remember to consider what media you're presenting the info in and how
the users will use it when you do the chunking. This will affect how you
chunk. For example, you may want to put all the conceptual info into one
section, as Lisa did, or you may want to have task-based chapters that
contain one subsection on the concept and another subsection on the
procedure. You may also want to present tables with codes as job aids
(cards, printable one-page pdfs, or something similar) in addition to
presenting them in the text.

elizabeth
elizabeth -dot- oshea -at- virtualaccess -dot- com

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com