RE: Do you spellcheck Code Comments

Subject: RE: Do you spellcheck Code Comments
From: "Susan Guttman" <Susan -dot- Guttman -at- contactft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 14:54:36 -0400

It depends on where you work, but if the code comments are being routinely
exported to documentation (i.e., being seen by external eyes), then a typo
counts as a bug of the minor variety, and warrants either an email to the
developer or a bug ticket with his name on it, depending on the way your
company works. As you are exporting this report, it's a correction you'll
have to make every time if it doesn't get fixed. But if it's a one-time deal,
just fix the typo in your doc and move on; if not, do the email and
correction now.

In my last job I routinely edited code comments for JavaDoc in the source -
but this was a formal arrangement and everyone knew I'd be poking at the code
and were okay with it. Made fixing typos a bit easier though. :D

Bill S. Guttman
TW Monkey