RE: Do you spellcheck Code Comments

Subject: RE: Do you spellcheck Code Comments
From: "Matt Horn" <mhorn -at- macromedia -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 14:54:47 -0400

> In the document, would you correct the spelling of "Exectute"
> or would you send a note to the developer. wait for him to
> fix it, and if he does, then make the change in the doc?.

I guess it depends on how often you expect to import the code comments.
Will there be Alpha, Beta 1, Beta 2, etc drafts, or is this a one time
shot? If it's the latter, then fix it in Frame and move on.

Maybe what you're really asking is how do you bug an engineer about
something so insignificant? You must know that what you see as a minor
typo might mean a whole check-out/check-in/recompile for them.

I guess I would try and collect a bunch of spelling errors at once and
then pass the corrections to a manager who can then assign the task of
fixing them to a single engineer. It couldn't hurt if you ask a few
questions about the class files you're looking at, too, to show that
you're more than just a spellchecker.

$.02

Matthew Horn
Sr. Technical Writer