Re: Why should I be worried about the merger? NOT

Subject: Re: Why should I be worried about the merger? NOT
From: "Howard Lebowitz" <Howard -dot- Lebowitz -at- harlandfs -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 14:04:05 -0400

Let's not forget that Adobe and Macromedia are NOT government
monopolies. That means the barrier to entry for new products and new
options is based on market forces not government fiat.

There is no reason to assume Adobe, or any other company will spend
millions to acquire products with large market share just to kill them.
It may happen, but there is no reason, other than conspiratorial wacko
thinking to believe it WITHOUT any evidence.

Even if was Adobe's intent to kill products, if there is a market for a
tool new companies will arise to supply that market, just as Blue Sky
did, and just as Macromedia did years ago. A good example is the
impending release of the new Flare product from the new company: Madcap.

Years from now, after Flare 10 is acquired by Huge Software
Conglomerate, Inc. this same discussion will take place. There will be
all kinds of whining and mashing of teeth, "Oh my, my whole life is
built around Flare 10.03 and now what am I going do? Why are they buying
Madcap ---just to kill Flare and replace with Spice?"

We must always adapt...the market will determine what products make
sense for companies to develop and that market is the result of the
decisions by both investors, suppliers and buyers. Adobe has one
overarching objective: shareholder value. Their decisions are based on
that.

--Howard
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

"Be yourself -- no one else wants the job."

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

>Subject: Re: Why should I be worried about the merger?
>From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
>Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 14:30:33 -0700 (PDT)

>Granted that it is premature to get upset. However, at the
>appropriate time, there may well be a justifyable reason to get
>upset. Sometimes you have a great deal of money, effort,
workflow
>design invested in a particular product. Yes, another may have
the
>replacement functionality. However, HOW it does it may not be a
>direct replacement.

>John Posada
>Senior Technical Writer

>Subject: Re: Why should I be worried about the merger?
>From: "Chris Christner" <cchris -at- toptechwriter -dot- us>
>Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 16:00:02 -0600

>Hi Bill,

>Mainly you should be worried because now there'll be fewer
choices in
>tools--and sometimes there's nothing available to fill the void
(as us Mac
>users recently found out when Adobe killed the Mac version of
>FrameMaker).

--Chris

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com