Re: Do online helps have chapter numbers?

Subject: Re: Do online helps have chapter numbers?
From: "Jens Reineking" <J -dot- Reineking -at- interkomelectronic -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 09:06:37 +0200 (CEST)

Let me use this thread to re-ask a question for which I got only one answer so far (thanks Victoria):

What do you expect from a good online help? As an author (development tools) and as a user
(support, customer, ...)? This could be in terms of structure, navigation tools, text, formatting,
chapter numbers, ...

Would you for example like or find useful a web-like presentation for the navigation (nodes and
links) where you can see related topics and their connection?
What kind of searches? Indexes? Topic lists?

Thanks,

Jens

<zitiere wer="Geoff Hart">

> Reena Misra wondered: <<My engineering manager wants me to include chapter numbers for each
major topic heading in an online help (chm format). He argues that it's easy to refer to a
chapter number
> specially while answering customer support calls.>>
>
> That's an interesting point, now that I think of it. If part of your company's technical support
script is to refer someone to the correct page or section of the printed manual, online help
provides no
> comparable "hooks", and it can be quite awkard to have to describe a long navigation path to get
to a topic, or explain which of several index keywords to click on, or what phrase to search on.
Cool idea!

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com