Re: Trouble finding work

Subject: Re: Trouble finding work
From: Michele Marques <writermsm-tech -at- yahoo -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 08:12:14 -0400 (EDT)

"Donna Marino" <domarino -at- earthlink -dot- net> writes:

> I've been unemployed since December, and although
I've
> diligently looked for a job, nothing has come up. I
> don't even hear back from employers when I send them

> my resume. And if I do, their rates are ridiculously

> low. Is anyone else experiencing the same thing?

You don't mention how many positions you've applied
for. As part of a reorganization, my position was
eliminated at the start of February. I'm in the
greater Toronto area and have over 10 years
experience.

Since then, I've applied for 35 positions and sent
proposals for 2 short contracts. I've had interviews
with 8 companies and had meetings with both companies
where I sent proposals. I received one offer that was
too low. Currently I'm working on a short contract
(one of the 2 proposals I sent).

In another message, Donna mentioned that her resume is
very good. If you're not getting any calls for
interviews, then maybe your resume isn't working for
you. Are you targetting your resume for the position
you're applying? Do you have any friends in HR or
hiring managers who could give you general suggestions
on your resume?

Also, if you are bidding on a short contract, consider
giving a flat, rather than hourly rate. If they
counter with a low rate, consider scaling back your
services to match what they can afford.

- Michele Marques
writermsm-tech -at- yahoo -dot- ca

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l