RE: What is wrong with this sentence?

Subject: RE: What is wrong with this sentence?
From: "Jones, Donna" <DJones -at- zebra -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 08:39:31 -0500

Shelly,

At the very least, there should be a comma between "interface" and "using" so you don't leave the reader wondering at first glance whether "using" is part of a verb phrase. The phrase "using which" is awkward, but if the whole clause is set off by a comma, I don't think it's grammatically incorrect (I could be wrong--just going by what I remember).

However, I think the sentence would be better rewritten as:

"ABC provides the XYZ interface, which you can use to
create folders for storing your personal card information."

That's my not-so-humble opinion as a former editor. :-)

Donna

Donna L. Jones
--------------------------------------
Technical Writer II
Zebra Technologies Corp.
Vernon Hills, IL
djones -at- zebra -dot- com

> "ABC provides the XYZ interface using which you can create folders for
> storing your personal card information."
>
> Specifically, what's wrong with the use of "using which". I think its
> incorrect, but I am not sure why that is so.

- CONFIDENTIAL-
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and may also be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, use, copy, or distribute this message. If you receive this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply email and then delete this email.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com