Start at the very beginning...

Subject: Start at the very beginning...
From: arroxaneullman -at- aol -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 14:11:59 -0400

Hello all,

I've need to set things up (and straight) at a small specialty software company. I'd like advice from those who may have been the trailblazers in small or mid-size organizations.

To give you an idea of what I'm up against,

- Manuals and user documents were outsourced
- Marketing materials and white papers originated internally and then were outsourced (to a different company than the manuals)
- They lack any library, document management system, knowledge base, etc.
- They lack a standards or style guide
- They have a stronger relationship with partners than customers (e.g., usability isn't their priority)
- They desire a central system linking all information, references, documentation, support experiences, internal and external materials, etc.

All this and the usual writing and editing any company needs. I'm not in over my head, but I could use a few tips on where to start to get this all organized. Perhaps knowledge management software?

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Arroxane

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l