Re: What notebook did you buy?

Subject: Re: What notebook did you buy?
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 17:42:03 -0500

Lou,

You are either behind the times or stuck with Red Hat. To quote the
Linux-NTFS FAQ:

" The Linux Distributions that are known to support NTFS are:
Mandrake, Debian, SuSE, Gentoo, Lindows and Caldera"

I happen to like SuSE for a large distribution, and it reads my NTFS
volume very well. Thus, you would still want three partitions, but one
of them would be Linux SWAP rather than data...and it should normally
be roughly twice the size of the system RAM.

Even with a Mac G5, I would also want to be able to run Linux as well,
since so far as I know the Mac is not binary compatible with many
Linux applications at this point, even though its newest incarnations
do quite well running XWindows as well as their own (stunning!) window
manager.

If I had much of a choice in the matter, now that Apple is actually on
the UNIX bandwagon I'd run it, too...as do *many* in the Linux arena,
particularly in laptops.

In fact, if I can do without Frame on my next assignment, I would
seriously consider a Mac.

David

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com