Re: What notebook did you buy?

Subject: Re: What notebook did you buy?
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 00:33:11 -0700

David Neeley wrote:

It appears that the only brand sold in the U.S. with an international
warranty is the Fujitsu.

Their web site says "valid only on machines purchased in North, Central, and South America." Make sure it's not valid only on machines that *malfunction* in the Americas, too.

...they produce a desktop replacement machine...that is incredible.
http://store.shopfujitsu.com/fpc/Ecommerce/buildseriesbean.do?series=N6

I own the N3010, the first in the N series. I've had it for a bit more than a year and a half. The DVD burner is indeed handy for full backups, but the fan is at least as loud as any desktop I've owned, the hard drive crashed after just a couple of months, and the machine has started turning itself off (!) spontaneously in the last few weeks.

Configured with...

The screen, DVD burner, and 2.6GHz processor were the big selling points for me. I paid about the price you mentioned, as well, and I'd be reluctant to pay that much again for a laptop that I'll need to replace in a couple of years.

The primary attraction to me is the screen...my "tired old eyes" find
smaller screens to grow rapidly tiring.

Yes, the "Crystal View" screen is fantastic, but is it worth carrying a laptop that weighs over 10 pounds?

A final note: To date, their customer support has been most impressive. I'm not sure I'd buy another machine from them--it kind of depends on how it goes tomorrow when I call them about the spontaneous stops.

--David

A V A I L A B L E N O W ! http://www.html-indexer.com

HTML Indexer is still the easiest way to create and maintain real indexes
for web sites, intranets, HTML Help, JavaHelp, and other HTML documents.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com