RoboHelp For Word Crash/Reboot Problem

Subject: RoboHelp For Word Crash/Reboot Problem
From: Steven Oppenheimer <Steven -at- OppenheimerCommunications -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 11:24:23 -0400

On my current contract I have been using RoboHelp for MS Word. Recently, we upgraded the PC to Windows XP, and Office XP to Office 2003. Now I am having a problem where, when I am saving my files under RoboHelp, the computer will spontaneously reboot. (No crash, really, or blue screen of death, just a cold reboot.) The problem is intermittent, but always happens when the .rtf file is being saved, and when the progress indicator shows it is about 80% to 90% saved.

I checked on Macromedia's forums. Apparently, at least a few other people have had this problem. One suggestion that I came across was that the problem can occur if the files are being edited on a network drive -- the solution is to edit files locally, and then (at the end of the work day) copy them to the desired network location.

Since we have, in fact, been editing the files on a network drive, I intend to try this next week (next time I'm at the client site), editing the files on the PC's local drive.

In case that does not solve the problem, my question is -- has anyone else had similar problems with RoboHelp, and can anyone offer any other possible solutions. (We have tried: Uploading all XP, Office, and RoboHelp patches; uninstalling and reinstalling RoboHelp.)

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Steven Oppenheimer, M.A.
Oppenheimer Communications
Technical and Business Writing: From Complexity To Clarity (TM)
Steven -at- OpComm -dot- com http://www.OpComm.com (301) 468-9233

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com