Re: "Transparent to the User"

Subject: Re: "Transparent to the User"
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 11:42:31 -0400

> I'll check with the SME, but I think his intent of the phrase is to
> describe a process that is invisible or requires no user intervention. But
> it seems to me that "transparent to the user" could also mean that the
> user can "see" what is happening (if it were "opaque", it could not be
> seen).

Looks like you'll get your answer by talking to the SME, then. We can
only ramble and pontificate on what we know, but rest assured we are
only 100% accurate in what we know... we are 0% accurate in what your
SME meant. Your SME, on the other hand, is 100% knowledgeable of what
they meant.

So, yeah. I could give you my thoughts on what "transparent to the
user" means, but it might be completely different from what your SME
meant, so I won't. ;-)

But, generally, if it does turn out to mean "the users don't need to
worry about how this is done" then definitely don't confuse them by
telling them something is transparent to them. Just say "the index is
created for you" if that is in fact what happens.

:-)

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com