Re: Exempt vs. Non-Exempt

Subject: Re: Exempt vs. Non-Exempt
From: Sarah Stegall <siliconwriter -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 09:12:18 -0700

On Monday, April 4, 2005, at 02:03 PM, Bill Swallow wrote:

I am exempt and fill out a time sheet. The sheets go to Engineering
management and to Project Management to see how many hours a week
people are working on what. It helps us better track how much work is
going into a project and allows us to use hard data in project
retrospective analysis, which helps us plan better for the next
project.

In fact, I make it a practice to fill out a timesheet even when the company doesn't require it. I have tracked my own time for years with time management software I paid for myself. The reason I do this is so that, when I am estimating future jobs, I can go back and see how long it took me to produce similar documentation: how long I spent on research, how long I spent writing, how long I spent testing, etc. Usually I break my time down not only by project but by task, in far more detail than management has ever required. This has been an invaluable tool as I moved to freelance writing, because I can more accurately forecast how long it will take me to produce, say, a user guide for a new product.
"Be a scribe! Your body will be sleek, your hand will be soft. You are one who sits grandly in your house; your servants answer speedily; beer is poured copiously; all who see you rejoice in good cheer. Happy is the heart of him who writes; he is young each day."--Ptahhotep, 4500 BCE

Sarah Stegall munchkyn at munchkyn dot com

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com