Re: Displays vs. Appears

Subject: Re: Displays vs. Appears
From: Jeffrey Osier-Mixon <jefro -at- jefro -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 12:37:09 -0800

[native Californian speaker]

I agree with Sonja. A page displays its contents. The contents appear on the page, but I can't think of a useful reason to use that phrasing in a technical manual.

One nit:

After selecting the open option, the new screen will be displayed

I'd turn this into present simple tense. "Select the open option. The new screen displays..." But then, this kind of phrasing also depends greatly on local customs.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com