Re: Winhelp: Pages following books in TOC

Subject: Re: Winhelp: Pages following books in TOC
From: "Dana Worley" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 09:22:34 -0700

On Wednesday, March 30, 2005, Poster wrote:

> How do you set up a TOC so that it includes books and pages on the
> same level? I am asking because I'm looking at a Winhelp file that
> does this and yet people say it can't be done. Robohelp doesn't let me
> do it, that much is plain...

This is essentially a WinHelp bug. If you have a topic that is defined
on the same level as a preceding book entry in a CNT, the topic is
displayed at the level of the topics in that book.

So, for instance, consider this TOC:

1 This is a topic=topic1
1 This is a heading
2 This is a topic under the heading=topic2
2 This is another topic under the heading=topic3
1 This is another topic=topic4

"This is a topic" will be a stand alone topic in the TOC. "This is a
heading" will be a heading with two topics underneath. However,
"This is another topic" will display on the same level as the two
preceding topics, even though it is coded in the CNT with a 1.

Depending upon how deeply your TOC is "nested" you may be able
to open the CNT in a text editor and assign a number that is one
less than what it should be (however, that wouldn't work in the
example above...).

Dana W.
Dana Worley
Applications Engineer/Software Support