Functional Specifications

Subject: Functional Specifications
From: "Lyda Woods" <lwoods -at- plexisweb -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 09:50:30 -0800

I'm developing a help system from various sources, one of the main
sources being Func Specs. I'm finding that reading func specs is a bit
like staring a blade of grass under a microscope. I'm looking for a
more integrated approach.

Could anyone help me understand better the high-tech cultural
assumptions behind func specs? Would it be unreasonable to suggest that
a func spec contain these elements?

1. Relate the particular functionality in one func spec to the business
requirements it serves
2. Discuss the design philosophy as it relates to the particular func
spec.
3. How one particular func spec fits into the entire functional map (I
work with about 45 func specs)

Has anyone here written func specs? What sort of guidelines/outlines
have you found most useful?

Do you interview designers about func specs they write? What sorts of
questions have proved most productive?

Thanks,

Note: The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com