Re: Visual representation of Active Server Pages

Subject: Re: Visual representation of Active Server Pages
From: Amanda_Abelove -at- toyota -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 10:00:03 -0800

Hi--

An ASP file contains both instructions to the server and the HTML mark up.
It pulls and populates from the selected database. It also references
and includes other server-side files to execute or executed by the VB
script.

This can be a nightmare to reverse engineer for a web service, especially
if all the business logic is in the ASP pages and not a middle-tier...

So the real question is, where is the business logic that you are looking
for?

Thanks!

---Amanda

Amanda Abelove
Technical Writer, (562) 468-6678
amanda_abelove -at- toyota -dot- com
amanda -at- abelove -dot- com
Cell: 310-430-0049

John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Sent by: bounce-techwr-l-201086 -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
03/28/2005 09:04 AM
Please respond to
John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>

cc

Subject
Re: Visual representation of Active Server Pages

> > Now, I'm trying to do the same for a web portal composed
> > entirely of Active Server Pages (.ASP)
>
> The output of each of those ASP pages is an HTML page. Unless
> you're documenting code, the fact that they contain ASP script
> at the source level should be moot, yes?

Mind you I'm just hanging onto this technology by my figertips, but
the way I understand it, while the output is HTML, but it's not HTML
until it runs on the server side. Under normal conditions, when an
application such as Visio or FP diagrams a page, it does so on what
it sees when the code is looked at, not when the code is run. I'd
need something that can run the code on the server. Anyone want to
show me I'm wrong? Please?

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

âNever be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone
amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built
the Titanic.â - Dave Barry

Accelerate the document lifecycle with full online discussions and unique
feedback-management capabilities. Unlimited, efficient reviews for Word
http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Amanda_Abelove -at- toyota -dot- com
leave-techwr-l-201086O -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com