Re: Purpose Driven Technical Writing

Subject: Re: Purpose Driven Technical Writing
From: Kelley <writinglists -at- inkworkswell -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 20:50:13 -0500

At 09:14 AM 3/24/2005, Al Geist wrote:

Okay...pet peeve time. According to Theodore A. Cheney in "Getting the Words Right,"

"Utilize is not an elegant variation of the word use; it has its own distinct meaning. When you utilize something, you make do with something not normally used for that purpose, e.g., you 'utilize' a dime when a bloody screwdriver is nowhere to be found. If the screwdriver where there, you'd 'use' it, not utilize the stupid dime for the purpose. The computer went off-line, so tehy utilized Mr. Wangs abacus, the one he liked to use. Despite the temporary breakdown, the computer's use-rate was up (not its utilization rate)."

LOL My partner was in the Navy, one of his Chief's had the same pet peeve and he'd instruct his writers periodically: "Do NOT utilize the word utilize, utilize the word use instead."

(I was wondering who was going to bring up the peeve. I'm not quite there with the peeve stage, but every time I see someone, uh, use it I think of the convos from this list.)

So, you would have "extensive experience using rigorous end-user task analysis techniques...."

This is not to say that I agree with any of Tony's DFD arguments. I agree with Oja that they appear to be nothing more than a new name for a flow chart, something that has been used since code was printed on Hollerith cards.

Well, I haven't followed the thread too carefully, but that's what I've always thought he meant too and I've yet to figure out what is so special about them. It's just a tool and there are plenty of times when other tools are far better for achieving your goal. What's new? This is the case in every discpline. Hell, as a sociologist, it was a comprehensive exam question in our department. The goal was to teach us to know when to use the tool for getting the information you needed to achieve your research goals. I have a few favorite research methods, and sometimes I've been an evangelist, but if I want to really represent the discipline, I know enough to respect the variety of tools out there and the work that good and decent people are doing.

I refinish furniture. My favorite thing in my toolbox is my power sanders. I could write orgasmic essays about how much I love using a power sander: the sound, the smell of the wood, the power.... Am I woman who likes power tools or what? But if I used a power sander for every damn thing I did, I'd have a lot of ruined furniture.

Now, don't get me started on the times a butter knife IS the appropriate tool -- no matter what any man with a toolbox has ever told me. I may like power tools, but there are many fine reasons to use a butter knife istead of a bloody screwdriver. :)

Kelley

When you need to communicate, Ink Works!
http://www.inkworkswell.com
+1 (727) 942-9255

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com