Re: FrameMaker question - literate formatting

Subject: Re: FrameMaker question - literate formatting
From: Chris Gooch <chris -dot- gooch -at- lightworkdesign -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 16:11:48 -0000

Koray asked:

++
I'd like to place sample code in a tutorial text for a programming language,
and I want the code to look as "literate" (a la Knuth) as possible.
I wonder whether it is possible to do the following automatically:

- format certain words (i.e. reserved words of the programming language) as
bold: this means those reserved words need be fed to FM.

- format all non-reserved words and non-operator symbols as italic: again,
the operator symbols must be defined beforehand.
++

Koray -

not really a proper answer to your question I know, but as you
mention Knuth it's maybe worth mentioning that you can do this
very easily in (La)TeX, for example by using Carsten Heinz's
"listings" package for LaTeX which gives language-aware formatting
(I've tried it and it gives quite good results, although I decided
against too much fancy formatting in my docs in the end and
went with good old courier for all listings).

Christopher Gooch, Technical Author
LightWork Design, Sheffield, UK.
www.lightworkdesign.com

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l