3D Modeling (Was: Are you innovative?)

Subject: 3D Modeling (Was: Are you innovative?)
From: Steven Brown <stevenabrown -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 05:58:32 -0800 (PST)

Lisa,

That sounds excellent. One of the things I think we
TW's should be doing more frequently is integrating
dissimilar tools to present information in new and
useful ways. This interactive PDF you've described
sounds great.

While reading your response, it occured to me that
writers could use 3D modeling to present complex
concepts that a traditional 2D image cannot capture. I
guess I need to go out and learn how to use CAD
software now!

Thanks for sharing.

Steven

--- "Lisa M. Bronson" <lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com> wrote:

> So, based on that, I went ahead and downloaded the
> trial version of the
> program (IPA, at www.immdesign.com), and have spent
> the past several days
> learning it. It's absolutely awesome! I can take a
> 3D CAD drawing from
> SolidWorks, open it in IPA, and animate it. The one
> I'm working on now
> will show how to assemble the pieces of a
> particularly troublesome
> subassembly, in the right order. When the file is
> converted to pdf, the
> drawings will retain their 3D qualities, and the
> user can manipulate them,
> turn them, zoom in or out, and explode them. When
> procedures are added,
> you can click on a step and the graphic will animate
> that step. My boss is
> out of the office this week, but when he gets back,
> we're going to run a
> feasibility study to see what kind of manpower we
> would need to get a
> program like this going.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com