How To Choose A Good TW Was Re: Giving a surprise test to interviewees?

Subject: How To Choose A Good TW Was Re: Giving a surprise test to interviewees?
From: Tony Markos <ajmarkos -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 09:00:24 -0800 (PST)

If you focus on evaluating the trivial (grammar), you
will choose the candidate who excels at the trivial.

If you want a Technical Writer who excels at analysis
for and design of technical communications, you need a
TW who can approach a project from a relatively
high-level of abstraction. And unfortunately,
higher-level-of-abstraction type people often miss the
itty bitty details in timed tests.

Ever wonder why Einstein was considered so absent
minded?

Tony Markos
Show Me Your DFDs

--- adf1972 -at- yahoo -dot- com wrote:

The sad part is that so far, nobody [among Tech Writer
interviewees] has even been able to spot the
difference between "effects" and "affects"...as in
"The database upgrade also effects the XYZ
application." And we've interviewed people who have
been working as tech writers for a couple of years.
The last candidate we interviewed couldn't even spot
the mistake in "it's paper tray jammed."

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Your Ad Here! Have a product or service you'd like to get some attention for? Use this space to get the word out! Contact lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com