Re: The Next Big Thing in Online Type

Subject: Re: The Next Big Thing in Online Type
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 18:43:17 -0600

There are currently flatscreen monitors that range up to 110
dpm...although of course they're still expensive.

One thing that Apple "gets right" is display PDF, so that screens are
the same on any monitor--only to the maximum resolution the monitor is
capable of (with the exception of raster graphics images...).

In the end, this kind of vector-based screen description language is
superior to any system that is strictly raster-based, especially in
the realm of type.

For the benefit of those who may not know, the "average" printed books
run between 133 and 150 lines per inch screen resolution...but that is
in reality more than the same numbers in dots per inch as in a screen.
Still, the 110 dpi flatscreens are impressive. The one I looked at was
a 1600SW by Silicon Graphics. Similar screens are sold for medical
imaging.

David

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:23:42 -0800, Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com> wrote:

> While on-screen fonts are one of the few things that I'll admit that
> Microsoft does right, unfortunately, new fonts are a band-aid solution
> for improving on-line. What is really needed is hardware development, to
> bring screen resolutions up to the level of the average printed book.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Your Ad Here! Have a product or service you'd like to get some attention for? Use this space to get the word out! Contact lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com