Use of "and/or"?

Subject: Use of "and/or"?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 18:03:02 -0500

"And/or" is one of those phrases we editors love to hate, even though it's widely used and it's often reasonably clear what the author means. The problem (imho) with the phrase is that it often represents lazy thinking by the author, who isn't willing to pin down which of the following they actually mean:
- A and B (both are necessary and both pertain)
- A and B (both are possible, but it's not necessary that both pertain)
- A or B (one or the other pertains, but not both)
- A or B (A, B, or A plus B pertain)
- A and B or A or B (I really don't understand what I'm trying to say, so I'll cover all possibilities and let you figure it out)

In some cases, making this distinction really is important. In those cases, you're always better to reword to make the meaning clear and specific. In other cases, particularly informal ones, the author's intent is so vague and the sentence is so poorly considered that it really doesn't matter which of these options is intended: the sentence is sufficiently empty of meaning that using "and/or" can't possibly hurt. Of course, one might wonder why we're letting the author perpetrate this waste of space when the reader probably has better things to do with their time.

www.geoff-hart.com

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Your Ad Here! Have a product or service you'd like to get some attention for? Use this space to get the word out! Contact lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com