RE: [SPAM] - Re: Giving a surprise test to interviewees? - Bayesian Filter detected spam

Subject: RE: [SPAM] - Re: Giving a surprise test to interviewees? - Bayesian Filter detected spam
From: "Domaschuk, Rob" <Robd -at- datalogics -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 09:13:08 -0600

> The sad part is that so far, nobody has even been able to spot the
> difference between "effects" and "affects"...

My other favorite is "to insure that the system is working properly..." - the 'ol insure/ensure/assure.

Besides wanting to add a "me too!" (that I agree with having a test but not as a surprise), I also wanted to add a note about letting any potential WRITER know that the position will also require them to be an EDITOR.

Yes, I would expect a seasond tech writer to catch the effect/affect, but IMNHO, I would be far more troubled with that error not being caught by an editor as opposed to a writer. That being said, if you let the person know that part of the test will involve basic editing tasks then it's fair to test them on it. If you tell the person you are giving them a writing test and it is actually a test of their editing skills, I think the exercise isn't really testing what you are asking for.

Just my two cents.

Rob Domaschuk | 312.853.8337 (o)
Technical Writer | 866.741.2677 (f)
Printable Technologies, inc. | www.printable.com

"The hard part about being a bartender is figuring
out who is drunk and who is just stupid."
- Richard Braunstein

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Your Ad Here! Have a product or service you'd like to get some attention for? Use this space to get the word out! Contact lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com