RE: Who's where, and how do we know?

Subject: RE: Who's where, and how do we know?
From: mlist -at- safenet-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 13:44:46 -0500

eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com decended from Olympus to suggest:
> bounce-techwr-l-106467 -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com wrote on 03/15/2005
> 03:53:22 PM:
> > how do you find people? Say, for example, you needed to
> publish some
> > procedure to all the software engineers -- how would you do it
> > without spamming the rest of the company?
>
> Pick up the *telephone* and call the secretaries in the software
> engineering departments and ask them to send you a list?
>
> Often, picking up the receiver and dialling '0' gets you to
> someone who
> can provide you with all the personnel details you need or,
> amazingly,
> they can connect you to someone else who can. <G> <lol>

You have... gasp! .... secretaries?

You're at Bombardier, where they grew big in one place, then
started expanding, and have been established for a while.
We're a clumping of many small companies and branches scattered
all over the world, many of them recently purchased, all of which
had different systems and ways of doing things. It's coming
together, but some things take longer than others. (Like having
six source-control systems, several bug-tracking systems,
multiple IDEs, various payroll fulfillment suppliers, and so on.)

We've got an Admin for the two senior types at this branch, who does some
general office admin, and has gotten to know some contacts at
a few of the other offices. That's a bit haphazard. Half the
company is sleeping when the offices in our timezone are working.
As well, sometimes similar functions are called different things
(and not just because of language differences), where
corporate nomenclature has not entirely rationalized yet.

Sure, it can be done (though we'd never know that we'd completed the
task) but the handful of writers is reluctant to take on the task
that rightfully belongs to IT or HR or a combination of the two.

With the now-"promised" system, the onus would fall onto the individual
employee and immediate superiors to ensure that they were publicly
identified in useful ways. I can hardly wait to see what they come
up with. :-)

Salut,

Kevin

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Your Ad Here! Have a product or service you'd like to get some attention for? Use this space to get the word out! Contact lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com