Re: What Are Writing Skills?

Subject: Re: What Are Writing Skills?
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 17:17:36 -0800

It is "special" in that the processes are often specific to the
particular industry, technology or product being documented,
just as the marketing, design, manufacturing, quality and
other parts of a company's development processes are.
The common part of "structuring" your writing, product design,
manufacturing, inspection, service, etc. is not to conform
to some sort of universal "magic bullet" process, but to
understand, standardize and document *your own* process,
and to disseminate the knowledge and skills required to make
it work in order to ensure reliable, repeatable, traceable results
within your own operating and/or regulatory environment. This
is the guiding principle behind various process improvement
and quality management systems, such as Six Sigma, the ISO
standards, etc., and it is what makes your deliverable "structured."
You're doing things you've done before using methods consistent
with methods that have an established record or working for you
before, and not reinventing the wheel or sacrificing chickens
every time you launch a new project.

Gene Kim-Eng