Re: Who's where, and how do we know?

Subject: Re: Who's where, and how do we know?
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 16:09:30 -0600

Kevin,

If you had an existing resource, it is likely you'd know about it.

The most elegant solution would be for your IT department to establish
an LDAP resource that would handle such things...(LDAP=Lightweight
Directory Access Protocol).

Things like Excel spreadsheets and long lists of people in a flat file
are terrible for the maintenance headaches they cause as people change
positions, locations, etc. For a company that is doing mergers,
acquisitions, spinoffs, sales of divisions, and the like, some sort of
LDAP directory system should be a very early item of business, IMHO.
Because these are generally updated upon any personell changes by the
HR people, the identification data is generally the most up-to-date
anywhere...and you don't need to rely upon a local address book.

Microsoft incorporates LDAP version 2 interoperability in its Active
Directory system and has incorporated much of the version 3
recommendations into it, and seems committed to be fully compliant
with version 3 upon its finalization.

However, there are many other implementations as well.

All of which, however, leaves you now in the tedious position of
having to do it manually unless there is a directory service on your
Intranet somewhere of which you are not aware...or, perhaps, one on
the IT system of each of the discrete parts of your organization that
may not have yet been integrated.

David

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Your Ad Here! Have a product or service you'd like to get some attention for? Use this space to get the word out! Contact lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com