RE: Researching decline Minimalist instruction for dissertation and need help...

Subject: RE: Researching decline Minimalist instruction for dissertation and need help...
From: "Downing, David" <DavidDowning -at- Users -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:59:33 -0500

Responding to this a bit belatedly, O knew someone else who also
objected strongly to the us of "hopefully" to mean "it is hoped that."
I looked it up in the dictionary awhile back and there was a lengthy
entry about how a certain percentage of that dictionary's usage panel
found the usage acceptable and the rest didn't. I think it was 40% who
found it acceptable.

I'm inclined to accept it as linguistic drift, but then again, I have
one of my own -- the dropping of the distinction between "lay" and
"lie." Still, if a policeman points his gun at me and yells at me to
"LAY DOWN ON THE GROUND!" I guess that's not the time to get into an
argument about usage.