Re: new kid on the block (long)

Subject: Re: new kid on the block (long)
From: David Castro <thejavaguy -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:56:16 -0500

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 06:40:57 -0800 (PST), J C
<tech_writer_girl -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

> I am the lone writer at my company. I just started a
> couple months
> ago so I'm still the new kid.
>
> The former writer (so far) reviews all my work. Anytime
> I try to suggest something
> that I think would improve the documents I get "No, we
> don't do it that way. Just keep everything the same.
>
> I've been told "Put this information in the document
> EXACTLY like I have written it here. Do not change
> anything" by QA reviewers.
>
> Do I put my foot down and say I'm the writer, my call
> is the
> last call. Or do I roll with it for a few more months
> till I gain some trust and respect?

I know how frustrating it is to start in a new job (especially if
you're moving into a new profession) and be told that your ideas
aren't worth incorporating. I've dealt with that many times in the
past.

At the same time, when you're new to a job, and especially to a
profession, I think it is good to just go with the flow for some time,
until you can get some traction. Keep suggesting changes and
improvements to whoever will listen, and eventually you'll say the
right thing to the right person, and that right person will have the
clout to help you get it implemented. Once you do that, future
enhancements, fixes, and changes will be easier to implement. This all
assumes that your employer is similar to those that I have worked
with.

Based on my experience, the two biggest influencers in how this works
out are likely the size of the organization (bigger is harder to fit
in with...I actually got forced to resign from the one large company I
worked for) and the amount of ego that those you work with have
wrapped into their control of their situation.

Good luck, and try to bide your time!

-David Castro
thejavaguy -at- gmail -dot- com

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Your Ad Here! Have a product or service you'd like to get some attention for? Use this space to get the word out! Contact lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com