RE: UI-driven system documentation?

Subject: RE: UI-driven system documentation?
From: "Jim Shaeffer" <jims -at- spsi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 15:53:48 -0500

I think you've seen good descriptions of UI Driven system documentation,
but the expert is the PM who asked for it.

The point of incorporating screenshots of changes to the GUI into change
requests may be an initiative to prevent common problems. Frequently (in
some organizations), functional changes are approved with no thought
given to the changes that will be made in the GUI. Or, changes to the
GUI are made without those changes being deemed important enough to go
through formal change procedures.

These practices drive certain types of technical writers and managers
insane!

Jim Shaeffer

> Subject: UI-driven system documentation?
>

> Urgh--
>
> My PM just asked for UI-driven system documentation... What is that?
> He wants something where change requests include screenshots of the
> changes to the GUI, but I thought that a change in functionality was
> always goal-based, and that the GUI change was part of that goal.
Even
> when you reverse engineer a software app with an external behavior
> focus (UI) doesn't that give you a limited view of the subsystem
activity?

> Revealing my ignorance,
> Amanda

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l