Force Models Anyone?

Subject: Force Models Anyone?
From: "ROBERTSON, KRISTINA \(SBCIS\)" <kr7943 -at- sbc -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 14:15:10 -0600

I am a technical writer for a large group of network operations
engineers (200+) that supports one of the largest networks in the US. I
wear many hats, as do we all, but I have recently been tasked with
creating a force model for my organization and this is a first for me.
In theory, I am supposed to develop a formula/model that magically
calculates the number of employees that the organization requires to
complete its myriad engineering, installation, maintenance, and
troubleshooting tasks.

So while I understand the theory, I start twitching when I try to apply
it. I don't have metrics that allow me to make claims like the other
force models that I have seen:
Time to assemble widget=1 hour
# of widgets assembled per day=64
# FTE (Full Time Employees) Required=**8

**1 FTE works 8 hours. 64/8=8

While I can pull the number of routers we install in a given month, and
the number of upgrades completed, and the times associated with those
types of recurring tasks, I can't come up with anything to account for
all of the engineering, troubleshooting, and special project variables.
I do not have the time or resources to complete a work study to
breakdown the engineers' day task-by-task. So barring that, does anyone
have any suggestions or resources that they can share? I would be most
appreciative!

Kristina Robertson
IP TAC Network Operations
SBC Internet Services