re STC chapter question -- what should an employer expect?

Subject: re STC chapter question -- what should an employer expect?
From: "Mark L. Levinson" <nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 18:11:46 +0200

When asking an employer to fund STC membership,
I always sold it on the basis of the journals.
I would even go so far as to compare STC to the
National Geographic Society, which you join for
the sole motivation of receiving their magazine,
which in turn is your sole benefit.

By reading about what's happening in technical
communications worldwide, the STC member becomes
able to recognize problems and opportunities as
they arise in the company's own context and to
confront them with some prior understanding.

As a technical writing manager requesting
memberships for my own team, I would point
out that if we share a membership, the journals
will arrive at the company and be read on
company time, whereas if the memberships are
individual, the journals will arrive at the
employees' homes and be read on the employees'
own time.

Mark L. Levinson
Herzliya, Israel
nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com