Re: Control Issues

Subject: Re: Control Issues
From: Sarah Stegall <siliconwriter -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 16:54:33 -0800

On Wednesday, March 2, 2005, at 02:39 PM, Wanda Phillips wrote:

I think, in part, my year of illness and his own burgeoning portfolio changed my relationship with my manager so that I work in an atmosphere that lacks trust.

I think this, rather than the control issues you mention, may be your most important issue. No matter how good your processes are, if your manager does not trust you, you will not be able to work effectively. The question only you can answer is whether you think it is possible or even desirable for you to win back your manager's trust/goodwill.

Cynic that I am, I have found that for the most part, it is easier to stuff a camel through the eye of a needle than to get people to change their opinions. I think regaining your boss's good opinion is a lost cause. It's not your fault or your boss's, it's just the way things pan out sometimes. Life deals us a joker in the deck now and then, and you have to know when to cut your losses.

You say your company has recently merged with another; I'd say layoffs are definitely a possibility. Managers often take advantage of these situations to weed out people; I would get out of that job before you get axed in the next round. On the bright side, once you've made up your mind to leave and are actively seeking a new position, you might be surprised at how quickly your attitude brightens, and how little any of this infighting will mean to you now.
"Be a scribe! Your body will be sleek, your hand will be soft. You are one who sits grandly in your house; your servants answer speedily; beer is poured copiously; all who see you rejoice in good cheer. Happy is the heart of him who writes; he is young each day."--Ptahhotep, 4500 BCE

Sarah Stegall munchkyn at munchkyn dot com

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com