Re: Slashdotted

Subject: Re: Slashdotted
From: Kelley <kelley -at- inkworkswell -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 15:40:21 -0500

Me? I'm still left sputtering feebly, "But I didn't say that!" or "Didn't that jerk read the article?"

So often, the comments seem to have no relation to what was actually said.

Aside from an early stint in marketing/PR in the tourism industry, my first experiences with this were, ironically, in academia. I was involved in two research projects hell bent on making sure our work was accessible to the public. I won't get into details here, suffice it to say that it's a lot easier said than done. It's a humbling experience. We went into it well-aware of an infamous case where the authors of a famous study on a small town were actually burned in effigy in a town parade when people learned of their work. Maybe your pirahnna metaphor isn't too offbase? :)

Since then, I've been writing for users, but the material was also ghostwritten, representing departmental or executive level management. Since it involved security policy, everything I wrote was vetted by a committee: legal, SMEs, marketing/PR, HR. I have _no_ writer's ego. OK, a wee one. :)

I also received a good deal of reader feedback--which is, again, very humbling, but extremely important for keeping our feet to the fire. (Which prompts me to ask, how many of us get reader feedback? If you can share, how does your company gather the info?)

AAR, It was always amazing how easily people misunderstood. It shouldn't be amazing at all, really. Anyone observing this list would see it happen regularly -- and we're a bright bunch, good comm skills, and share a commitment to clear communication.

The other thing about having material go through committee is typical social behavior: everyone feels compelled to say something, anything. I've seen some Intranet design projects for a university that took four times as long as they should when design by commmittee wasn't reined in properly.

<brevity snip>

Completely divorcing your sense of self from your writing doesn't doesn't always work to good effect (e.g., hacks), so what I mean is being able to maintain but.... From reading you over the years, it's clear that you probably know all this. But, I thought it might help to remind you of what you already know, as you imagine pyrannas circling. :)

Interjection to apologize: Eudora went foobar on me and I had the darndest time sending that message. And after all the futzing around, Eudora sent or what looks like a previous save. That was supposed to read, "what I mean is being able to maintain a critical distance between your sense of self-worth and how your writing is received." The "but...." was supposed to have been excised. thanks for being gracious.

I think the trick (and I'm paraphrasing a quote that I can't track down here) is to take the work seriously, but not yourself - and then let go of it once you've sent if off.

Yes. It's a kind of defensive formation, but it works and it's healthier than the other approach, which is usually to get very defensive. Humor works.

Another perspective: One of my favorite musicians Ray Wylie Hubbard, does a long monologue on an album about his misgivings on having written the song "Up Against the Wall Redneck Mothers" thirty years ago. He complains about always been asked to sing it, and about being known mainly for that song. He concludes with, "And then twice a year, I walk down to my mailbox and take out a cheque -- and, suddenly, life doesn't seem so bad."

:)

Or, in my own case, I may be misunderstood and attacked, but I'm also paid.

Remember: Any publicity is good publicity. Any publicity is good publicity. repeat after me. :)

Any publicity is -- go --

No, sorry. Can't say it, quite.

heh. Again, Bruce, congratulations. And keep us posted on how it all washes out.

Kelley

--
When you need to communicate, Ink Works!
http://www.inkworkswell.com

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com