Re: Document Review Process

Subject: Re: Document Review Process
From: Wanda Phillips <wanda -at- writelivelihood -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 10:34:35 -0800

I feel particularly able to answer this question, having just written our formal review process!
First, we're a regulated industry, so we have had a structure to our review process that satisfies our regulatory requirements. We're in the process of integrating two companies (how unusual, eh?) and we needed to integrate the two review processes into one.
That said, here is our final process:
1. Writers produce a PDF version of the document and distribute it to engineers (SMEs), end-user reps, and regulatory folks. Occasionally, we include the lawyers, but rarely as they tend to request changes that make it less of a user document and more of a cya.
2. Reviewers, given a period of time considered sufficient for them to include the review in their work processes and keeping the entire document development process within the product schedule, use Acrobat tools to mark their comments in the document. They return their FDF layers.

If the comments are significant, controversial, or result in a
change of scope during the revision, we do a second review process,
but, generally, we target a single review cycle. We also track the
contributions from SMEs from the data collection part of the
document development process.

3. The writer combines all the FDF layers into a single PDF and uses that as the master review copy for updating the document. Writers acknowledge their responses to comments by initialling the original comments, and adding notes where necessary.
4. An editor edits the contents and reviews the master PDF to ensure that all comments are addressed.
And there you go. Sometimes, SMEs request a sign-off copy, and they are generally the SMEs from one group, one of the former companies where the review process included a final sign-off to approve the integration of comments. That company did not have writers employed but used contractors; there was a much lower level of trust.
HTH, YMMV
wanda

Sara Hassen wrote:

Good Morning,

I am trying to develop a document review process for my division. I am
the lone Technical Writer within a group of scientists (Ph.D. level).
It is the common assumption that every document I produce should be 100%
error free. This of course is a daunting task. I strive to maintain
accuracy, but without a review process, the errors are unnoticed until
the document is utilized. I proof all my documents twice prior to
release, but this is obviously not adequate. This brings me to the
conclusion that a formal review process needs to be implemented.

My question to you is this, how many reviews do your documents undergo
prior to being released for use? Also, who are the people who review
the documents, end-users, fellow writers?

I appreciate any and all comments. I am at my wits end trying to
articulate the need for document review PRIOR to release. I am hopeful
the information I learn from all of you will assist me.

Thank you very much for your time to help me out!

Sara Hassen
Technical Writer

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com