Re: Business travel

Subject: Re: Business travel
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 22:21:31 -0500

> Is this a full time job where your company is sending you to the
> client or is this contract? If the former, expect to be paid as usual
> for your time and to be able to expense travel, room, and meals. If
> the latter, you need to negotiate that anticipated cost into your
> contract.

Sorry for the immediate follow-up, but on that note, make sure you
talk about this indetail and get the info you need from them BEFORE
saying yes and signing papers. The above are ideals if presented and
negoriated appropriately. Don't expect it to be the case always.

I had an employer who expected me to travel on MY dime once.
Fortunately I was smart enough to negotiate my way out of that one. I
also had a client who expected me to travel at my own expense and not
theirs. Fortunately I could bill them for the time spent travelling
because I'd left the definition of "work time" vague enough. These are
both first-time, learned the hard way lessons. Given I just presented
this to you, you should now be armed with the knowledge to do things
differently. ;-)

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com