RE: Button vs. Icon

Subject: RE: Button vs. Icon
From: "Cliver, Barry" <CliverBarry -at- PRAIntl -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 13:33:44 -0500

McKinney, Suzanne wrote:

>> I'm working on user documentation, and am editing something written
by
>> a developer. I've always called GUI elements that you click to do
>> something "buttons" but this developer (and others) often call them
>> "icons". Which is it? For example, "Click the Save icon at the bottom

>> center of the page to save the record." To me that's a button. Is one

>> right or wrong, or better/worse? Please e-mail me directly as I am on

>> digest.
>>
> From the _developer's_ perspective, a button is a control that is
>generated by providing some arguments to a .dll. Most of these
arguments
>have default values, and they speak to things like border width, shades

>of gray to be used, height, horizontal padding, or whatever, plus the
>text for the button. An icon is a graphic stored in .ico format
>(usually), created in an icon editor (a special-purpose graphic
editor).

>From the _user's_ perspective, if it looks like a button and acts like

>a button, call it a button.

I'm not sure what dlls have to do with buttons or icons from a writing
perspective.

Server-side processing of client HTTP requests on UNIX platforms do not
use .dll files. They use a library accessed through the environment
variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH or SHARED_LIBRARY_PATH, depending on the UNIX
version. Solaris uses libjvm.so.

Barry

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com