expanding hotspots

Subject: expanding hotspots
From: "Tom Johnson" <tjohnson -at- idratherbewriting -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 23:28:22 -0500

I am wondering if someone has a workaround for some expanding hotspot
issues.

Our company's current style guide doesn't endorse Robohelp's expanding
hotspots for two main reasons:

1. If the online help file requires updating, and the hotspots duplicate
content found elsewhere in the online help file, hotspots create twice as
much updating work.

2. When users search for keywords, if the keywords are hidden in the
hotspots, the user may believe the search results were incorrect (because
the keywords are hidden).

Is there any way to have the drop-down hotspot insert material from another
topic, so that I would only have to update the topic -- and then the hotspot
would automatically also be updated? (for webhelp)

On another note, I recently found what I believe to be a bug in Robohelp.
Try ending a sentence on an auto-sizing popup. Unless you include the period
as part of the popup link, an unnecessary space gets created before the
period, like this . Strangely, it only appears when you actually print the
page.

Tom

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com