Wanted: "Right" Standards for User Manual (appliance)

Subject: Wanted: "Right" Standards for User Manual (appliance)
From: Liz Goodwin <Liz -dot- Goodwin -at- ametek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 13:23:38 -0500

Greg wrote:
I am dazed and confused searching for relevant standards for user
documentation. The equipment is very simple to use--mostly, we are talking
on/off and some maintenance. So that's easy to cover; but I want to make
sure we comply with standards for safety and hazard cautions, warnings.

Many of the cautions and warnings in a hardware manual are dictated by the
certifications that the product has. For instance, UL-certified,
CSA-certified, CE-certified, ATEX-certiffied, all require specific cautions
and warnings that are relevant to the product and any electrical,
hazardous, emissions, etc. situations. Appliances would probably have UL
certification or CSA (Canada) and possibly CE for sale in Europe. This
might be a place to start.

Liz Goodwin
Technical Writer, Process Instruments
AMETEK, P&AI
liz -dot- goodwin -at- ametek -dot- com
412-826-2427

There are people who reshape the world by force or argument, but the cat
just lies there, dozing; and the world quietly reshapes itself to suit his
comfort and convenience.
--Allen and Ivy Dodd

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com