Re: Technical writing in China?

Subject: Re: Technical writing in China?
From: greg -dot- richards -at- franke -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:28:18 -0700

I am new to this list, but was interested in the discussion about what it
would be like to work in China.

Geoff Hart wrote,

> China is a Very Different Place, and much though I loved my time
> there, I'm not sure I'd want to abandon Canada (a country I love). If
> you're pondering this, read a lot about the culture. For example,
> culture shock strikes many people quite hard after they've spent enough
> time there.

I have only spend a couple of weeks there over the past few years, and
feel about it much as Geoff does--a fascinating place populated by
friendly, bright and fascinating people. But to his point, a lot still
needs to be sorted out before Westerners would feel entirely comfortable
there--particularly as regards human rights.

Keep your eye on the small, almost forgotten news bits you sometimes see
on the third or fourth page of the business section in your newspaper:
"China Executes Three Executives Convicted of Fraud."

Enough said? (I don't mean to create a debate, either, Geoff...just a
comment!)

--Greg

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com