Re: Matching the CAPITALIZATION of the interface

Subject: Re: Matching the CAPITALIZATION of the interface
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 11:19:14 -0500

> Obvious, but don't type them in capital letters. Type them in lower case/mixed case and set a
> style template to change them to capitals. Saves time when (hopefully) the interface changes into
> something more comfortable again.

If you're using a half-way intelligent application you can type it in
as lowercase and use a toggle on the capitalization to change it to
initial caps, all caps, camel case, small caps, or watever you'd like.

I don't think the issue here is mechanics at all though. The issue is
what to do about a ugly interface that they paid consultants
(presumedly) a lot of money for. There's a strong political issue
here, and the best way to navigate it is to document the UI as is,
preserving the case of the UI in the docs for usability/familiarity
reasons, and then let the chips fall where they may should someone
have a big issue with ugly results in the documentation.

IMO, this is not an issue you want to try to use a workaround to
circumvent, nor one that you want to tackle head on. Money was spent,
time was spent, you got what you got. Write to it and let the battle
for common sense happen between those who have the clout to tackle the
bigger issue of bad business decisions feeding bad design. With any
luck, the docs will drive the change under a better suited champion,
and your input may be sought to help fix the expensive blunder.

But, stay true to the course your company has chartered and document
the UI as-is.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com