Replacement for DOS Ventura Publisher for publishing book

Subject: Replacement for DOS Ventura Publisher for publishing book
From: Phoebe Minias <phoebe -at- MIT -dot- EDU>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 14:51:39 -0500

Hello,

I'm forwarding the following email from a colleague. He is looking to replace a very old DOS-based version of Ventura Publisher that is currently used to format a tagged ASCII file generated from a database. Apparently the latest version of Ventura does not work because it does not accommodate special characters.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Phoebe

We have several major requirements:

1. Our data -- the students and degrees awarded -- come from a database. The format of the data export file will typically be an ASCII file of tagged data items. The new software must have very good capabilities for importing such a file, and be able to set up templates and "tags" to which we can attach formatting attributes (type size, font, etc).

2. The formatted output includes a table of contents and an index. In both of them, the software is expected to dynamically insert the relevant page numbers. In addition, the entries in the index are not displayed exactly the same as the entries in the body of the book. The entries are the names of the students being awarded a degree, but in the book a student's name is displayed in First Middle Last format, and in the index the names are in Last, First Middle order. One software package we evaluated, for example, can only display in the index exact replicas of text it finds in the body of the book.

3. The book is a series of "Chapters", in which each chapter is a school of the university. The book must be able to handle running footers that change with each chapter.

4. We have a lot of international students whose names include accented characters and many thesis titles with Greek and Math symbols. The software needs to handle non-Latin characters well (hopefully using Unicode, but any mappable system could work).

5. In addition to accented characters and symbols, a single tagged data item could include text that needs to be displayed in italics or as super/sub-scripts.

6. The people producing the book are under extremely tight deadlines, with changes in the database occurring up to the last minute. The process of importing and formatting the text must allow a very high degree of automation, with no or very little manual intervention. We must be able to include in the import file or the defined "tags" essentially all formatting information.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com