RE: Do you have a big fat "WE DON'T SUPPORT THAT!" disclaimer?

Subject: RE: Do you have a big fat "WE DON'T SUPPORT THAT!" disclaimer?
From: Matt Horn <mhorn -at- macromedia -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 12:33:07 -0500

> Has anyone run into this, and as a result inserted some sort
> of disclaimer in the docs saying "If we don't say it works
> this way, don't assume it does"? Would that have any affect,
> desirable or otherwise?

In the application server space, it's hard to say you don't support
something -- based on the sheer volume of "middleware" or "connector"
products that make just about *anything* possible. XML is a beautiful thing.
:)

If the product doesn't support AMF over HTTPS, for example, you can bet
someone out there will write a tool that will make it possible, so my
general position is to not say "AMF over HTTP is not supported" but rather
suggest other ways to accomplish similar if not the same task, or in some
cases not say anything. In cases like this, you have to let the sales
engineers do THEIR job and explain pros and cons of the product before
making the sale.

(I think it goes without saying that this is just my opinion and not the
position of my employer -- and that every case, even within the same doc, is
different; I just wanted to present a different point of view.)

Matthew Horn
Sr. Technical Writer
< m a c r o m e d i a >

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l