RE: FW: RE:writing tests

Subject: RE: FW: RE:writing tests
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 08:31:17 -0800 (PST)

Juliet Adlington wrote:
> I'm a fan of tests too. In my previous company we gave
> people information from a spec, plus some more background
> information, and asked them to make the information usable.
> Bit more precise than this, obviously! It was a short test
> (approx 30 mins

This (and most of the other tests described in this thread) seem to
measure *re-writing* ability. If you are looking for re-writers that's
fine but I'm not sure how it tests writing ability.

By writing I mean identifying needs and developing original content
from its primary sources, not reworking existing docs to "make the
information usable." I"m not sure how to test that kind of analytic
capability in the time span of a lunch break. Perhaps the best writers
are the ones who walk out of the test saying "Sorry, not enough info."

Maybe one can make a correlation that people who are good at re-writing
are probably also good at original authorship, but I think that's a
stretch.

Mike O.

http://my.yahoo.com

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l