Re: Why don't more job interviews use writing tests?

Subject: Re: Why don't more job interviews use writing tests?
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- alltel -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 15:40:11 -0500

I think that I would welcome a chance like that. Around my geographical
area there are many companies that want writers who have a PhD in pharmacy
or even an MD. I'm quite sure I could do some of those jobs, but I'm
never considered, not at all. It's unlikely that I could fake the degree
requirement, so a chemistry test might just be a good thing, for me. I'm
ok with Latin and Latin-Greek medical terms, and I even have been known
to read the Merck Vet Manual at breakfast, but that doesn't get me past HR's
requirement for a doctorate.

--Peter Neilson
(who did not graduate Summa Cum Laude, but Mirabile Dictu instead)

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:28:07 -0800, Sara Hassen <Sara -dot- Hassen -at- stratagene -dot- com> wrote:

It is one thing to attempt to test an applicant's skill set, but my
testing was taken to a different level. The position was writing
manufacturing documentation for a biotech. During my interview with the
department director, I was administered a chemistry exam! I was able to
recall enough information to adequately answer the questions, and
demonstrate the ability to solve chemical equations. That exam
definitely raised my anxiety level during the interview!
I was offered the position and I have been with the company for over 1
1/2 years now. I still joke about the chemical entrance exam with my
director :-)

Sara Hassen

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com