RE: Capitalizing...research need

Subject: RE: Capitalizing...research need
From: "David Chinell" <dchinell -at- msn -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 14:05:21 -0500

Chuck:

This is the crux of the thing for me. You said:

"If the interaction points are the only ones
bolded, users can just scan the bolded text and
get a very good idea of what to do without even
reading comprehensively."

I can't find any studies that support the idea
that people can or do read this way. That is, I
find no evidence that people can scan bolded text
and extract any kind of summary from it. So I
don't like to undertake any bolding, knowing how
much time it takes, when there's nothing to prove
it helps the readers, or adds any value for them.

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, I'm
just looking for any evidence that it really does
add value.

Bear

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com