RE: Two TOCs (Was: Transitioning user expectations...)

Subject: RE: Two TOCs (Was: Transitioning user expectations...)
From: "Fred Ridder" <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 17:31:34 -0500

The approach you suggest will not produce the desired results because
of a long-standing bug in FrameMaker's table sorting fucntion. When the
function operates, it loses all markers in the table, so that your
hyperlinking
disappears.

If you want TOC entries to be sorted in alphabetical order rather than
in order of occurrence, what you want to use instead of the Add>
Table of Contents command is Add>List Of...>Paragraphs (Alphabetical).

Fred Ridder
Intel
Parsippany, NJ

From: "Jones, Donna" <DJones -at- zebra -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Subject: Two TOCs (Was: Transitioning user expectations...)
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 14:30:25 -0600

One of our manuals contains a "Functional TOC" for commands, which would be along the same lines as a "Feature TOC." I believe the entries were typed in manually in the past (text<TAB>page number). As a FrameMaker super-geek, I have been trying to think of how we might automate the process and provide hyperlinks to the entries so the user could jump to the commands from the Functional TOC.

How would you go about doing a feature/function-based TOC short of manually messing with a copy of the actual TOC after everything else was done? For example, I might do the following to generate a different type of TOC:

1. Starting with a copy of the TOC, convert the TOC entries into a table.
2. If necessary, change the entries to read differently without deleting the hypertext markers.
3. Sort the table.
4. Convert the table back to text.

Is there a better way to do it that I'm missing?

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com