Re: How to deal with a "Closed" group of writers? Take 2

Subject: Re: How to deal with a "Closed" group of writers? Take 2
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 12:07:49 -0800

TechComm Dood wrote:

According to the anonymous tech writer, s/he is going out of his/her way
to work on projects alone, but that does not appear to be an option. The
anonymous writer then acts surprised when s/he is not invited to play in
the other writers' reindeer games. Well Rudolph, you made your own bed,
and now you have to sleep in it.

That was my exact interpretation, and my exact sentiment. If it's an
incorrect interpretation, perhaps the Anonymous one should re-write
the question without using slang or fancy language and be as plain
about asking it as he/she can.

Part of me shares that feeling.

However, another part of me (I am vast, I contain multitudes) can't resist pointing out that, in any group of writers, tensions between the individual and the group are likely. In the end, writing is a solo act, and many writers don't have experience working in a group. Finding the right balance between being part of a team and being a writer takes some experience and usually a lot of effort.

It seems to me that the anonymous poster is describing a very common conflict. But maybe that just proves that I'm more used to being a solo act.

--
Bruce Byfield
http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com