Re: Job Opps for British Writers

Subject: Re: Job Opps for British Writers
From: Ed Wurster <glassnet -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 14:46:46 -0500

Mark Lewin wrote:

> Hi

> I'm a British technical writer and my wife and I are hoping to move
> out to the States.

> As most of the people on this list come from the US, I wondered what
> you thought about the likelihood of an American company hiring a Brit
> for a tech writing role. I hear you're crying out for writers over
> there, but are American companies desperate enough to look at
> sponsoring someone from abroad?

My opinion is that tech writing will not rise to previous employment
levels in the states. The task of tech writing has been outsourced,
nonsourced and ignored throughout the past 20 years.

But you should come for a visit, hand out a few resumes, and pick up a
few dollars as a soccer trainer. The rate is $60-75 per hour in New
Jersey.

--
Ed Wurster
Tech Tips Blog

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com